September 22, 2014

Modern Building Blocks has Arrived!



In all the excitement of the Capital of Texas QuiltFest last weekend, I had to put aside my Modern Building Blocks kit that had arrived from Sew Lux Fabric.  I was finally able to sort and label my fabrics (a very good tip, by the way, that I saw on Instagram from Camille at Thimbleblossoms) and FINALLY start cutting into them late last week. 

I've been Instagramming my progress using the hashtags #modernbuildingblocks and #modabuildingblocks if you want to follow along. It's fun seeing these blocks pop up in lots of different colorways. I'm really happy I decided to go with the solids kits - I think this is my first real solids quilt project, and I'm just loving these colors.

I will be completely honest and say that I think the directions are lacking a little with this pattern.  The cutting chart is OK, and I haven't found errors, but I would not recommend this pattern for a beginner. Nearly every block has you cutting and sewing on the bias, and I find that makes for very tricky measurements. I've taken it slow and steady, and am generally having success with my blocks.  This first 36" monster block did give me some fits and I actually decided to piece my flying geese with a different method.



After that big block, I decided to move on to some 6" blocks and see if I was any happier. I was.



P.S., does anyone know how to get all of the stray threads off of your design wall??

Then late last night I decided to do another big one, the 30" square and an 18" one.  Both came out great, but it required A LOT of attention to detail.


Overall, I'm really enjoying this project and looking forward to it all coming together in the coming weeks!

Linking up with Freshly Pieced today for our weekly dose of inspiration!



post signature

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!!! Am I regretting not ordering it now...? Your sewing looks lovely, and you have certainly been busy!!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tape rollers - I buy them by the 6 pack. I hate all the threads. I use them on the ironing board as well. My husband uses one on me before we go out the door since I usually have threads attached. Your quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. could borrow my miniature schnauzer to brush up and down your wall, she is a proud thread collector in our house

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use a lint roller to remove threads. We actually had a post (http://www.prairiesewnstudios.com/2014/09/momcat-monday-lint-roller.html) about this on our blog a few weeks ago! Looks like it's a problem for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to see someone actually working on this - love the tip to label the color blocks. My kit is sitting in my closet, it's on the 2015 to-do list while I finish up all my 2014 stuff. Can't wait to get started though!

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS