April 30, 2014

The Fabric Diet... Update

Well, it's been four months now and I have to say, I'm pretty proud of my 2014 progress in "sewing from my stash."

I can report that I haven't made any real fabric purchases to speak of, and other than one itty bitty bundle that I used a gift certificate for, I've been fabric free.  And, you know what, I'm living to tell the tale.  I've completed several WIPs and even managed to start and complete one scrappy top, below and start another.

Here is the scrappy log cabin top that will eventually be a teacher gift.  I think it is very bright and cheery. It uses the Scrappy Stash Tutorial from Ellison Lane Quilts. This is super easy and a great way to use up some scraps.



Next, I have decided to attack my charm squares.  I found this fantastic tutorial from Amy Gibson at Stitchery Dickory Dock that turns one charm square into 4 flying geese, with absolutely no waste. Score!! This is going to be teacher quilt #2.  


During this time of fabric dieting, it has been VERY hard to see some great new QAL's out there popping up.  I am dying to do the Aviatrix Medallion QAL from Oh Fransson! but I don't quite have enough variety in the right color palette for this quilt right now.  Oh well, I can always do it later in the year, right?

Are you on a fabric diet? Are you sewing from your stash? How is it going? Inquiring minds want to know.

Linking up with Fairy Face Designs and Freshly Pieced today :)



FairyFace Designs
post signature

10 comments:

  1. I am eating enuf fabric for the both of us...Luvin your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and your stash quilts are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lots of rainbow charm squares. What a great use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey, I admire your resolve to stick to the fabric diet. And look at all you are still able to accomplish! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing pretty well with my fabric fast. I've been tempted a few times but then realized that I have enough current projects or projects planned with my current stash that were still exciting for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm super impressed with your commitment to not buying -- I am doing the destash as well my post for last month is here (http://karmawillowdesigns.blogspot.com/2014/04/its-been-crazy-week.html). I am going to try and carry mine out the rest of the year as the first few months were not purchase free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your scrap projects are looking great

    ReplyDelete
  8. This year I've been feast or famine in the fabric buying. I think I'm ready for another fast though...my bins are starting to overflow again. Your scrappy quilt is so great! I'm overdue for another scrappy quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just started a fabric diet. I have a lot of stash. Yesterday I didn't think I was going to have enough fabric to finish a quilt top. But as I got creative, I found plenty in my stash that will make this top really beautiful. How long are you on this diet for? My time limit is at least 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those flying geese are just delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS