April 18, 2014

Oh Dear!

Armed with my Dear Jane EQ software and the original Dear Jane book, I am embarking on what is likely to be a multi-year project.  I'm excited, nervous and somewhat intimidated by the quilt. Who wouldn't be, with 225 unique blocks and triangles??


Photograph by Ken Burris,Shelburne, VT, courtesy of the Bennington Museum and the Vermont Quilt Festival

The fact that this quilt was completed in 1863, during a time of war, likely with only fabrics she could scavenge and pieced by hand just makes it all that more of a challenge. A quilt bucket worthy quilt, to be sure!
I have so many decisions to make before I start - the finished size, the borders, but most importantly, the color scheme.

I found a ton of inspiration on Pinterest and created a board to host my ideas.  It would be ambitious to call this a 2 year project, but that's what I'm hoping for.  My top fabric choices would be (1) rainbow, (2) solid two color or (3) 1930's. 

Here's a solid red/white coloring that I've been playing with today.



I'm going to let that decision marinate for a few days (weeks?) because I just don't want to regret my color palette on a quilt this....epic!





What's so cool about EQ is that you can start with a blank slate like this and fill in with your progress. You can choose patchwork, applique, paper piecing....whatever technique you prefer.  

I've added a little picture on my sidebar that I will update as I progress. I'd love to show a few tutorials to highlight some of my favorite techniques along the way and maybe connect with others who are also on a Dear Jane mission.  If there are those out there who want to join in, we can talk via Instagram, Flickr or here. This will be a go-at-your-own-pace deal.

For now, it's just a bunch of squares. I put one little lonely block in there just to see what it would look like, but until I make my final color choices, I won't be starting yet!



Are there any of you out there who what to Jane Along?

post signature

15 comments:

  1. I need to finish up my second Farmer's Wife first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to? Yes! But.... First I have to finish my wips...will take me at least two months. I hope that I can join you then!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been working on my Dear Jane for years! I finished all the blocks but progress on my triangles has been derailed by two kids. I still hope to finish one day. I look forward to seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to make a rainbow Dear Jane! I have worked out the colors and blocks based on the website/store at Twiddletails.com. I have been collecting fabric and have purchased the book and CD. I would love to start this but I would like to know how you put the picture of the quilt on the side of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not ready to start my Dear Jane, but I wish you the best of luck. I bought the book, and decided that I needed to get a little more experience under my belt before I start on something like that. I've only been quilting for a year and half and only have 4 quilts that I've made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jane will be stunning in any color way ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been working on mine for a year already. I'll play along! I was going to do single colour but very quickly changed to rainbow so I could use all my pretty fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to make a rainbow one, but I don't have the software yet, it's on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recieved the book for Mother's day and treated myself to some oakshott fabrics, so it will be a limited rainbow effect as I have more blues that any other colour way. I bought a soft white as my background colour yesterday. I intend to do it all by hand as I needed a hand making project to take to Italy next month. I will be away 5 weeks. I had planned to use freezer paper and have started by cutting a few 4 1/2" squares and putting them in a book to flatten. I am starting in the centre, yesterday was the first time I heard about the EQ software for it but as I do not have any of their software wanted to research it more. I have many projects on the go but There is only one which may never be finished. I would love to join you in this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really , really, really do want to join in... but I can't afford such a huge outlay for fabrics right now. I'd make a rainbow version, definitely! Maybe I could just buy a yard of one colour, make all those blocks, then a few months later buy another yard of a different colour... oh no, what have you done to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you know there are Dear Jane groups on Facebook you can join? Those ladies would probably love some tutorials and tips. I wish I could join you, but my Farmer's Wife quilt would be very mad at me for cheating on it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're braver than me. I never thought of changing the color schemes. hmmm
    Can't wait to see your progress as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got one started already. Maybe your progress will inspire me to get mine out and start working on it again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have everything I need to make this quilt...mine is going to be a rainbow Jane using the fabrics from Twiddle Tales bom that I joined several yrs. ago, but did not make the quilt...it has sat languishing for a while now and I have just brought her out of hibernation...I would love to join you on the flickr site if you have set it up...

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS