March 1, 2014

Quilty Bucket List


Welcome to the kickoff of the Quilty Bucket List Blog Hop.  What is a quilty bucket list you ask? Well, it's exactly like it sounds.  It's the quilts that we all have on our lifetime to-do list. Not those quicky baby blankets we sometimes churn out in a pinch, but what are the quilts you've seen and been inspired by ~ that made you say "Some day, I want to make that quilt."  Or, it could be something quilt-related that you want to accomplish (i.e. attend Quilt Market, put your quilt in a show, take a class from your quilty idol).  I hope this month is inspirational for all of us.  Get started on your quilty bucket lists now, folks. There is no time like the present!

I've lined up some amazing bloggers who are going to share their own quilty bucket lists with all of us.  You can participate in two ways, but I'll get to that in a second.

Here's the schedule:

March 1
 The Tilted Quilt, that's me! 
 Linky Party Opens

March 31 
linky party closes and we all go create something amazing!



I would really love for you all to join in the fun with a post of your own about your Quilty Bucket List.  There is a link up below that will be open all month. Share a post or a Flickr picture of something from your quilty bucket list.  Add a picture to Instagram  with the hashtag #quiltybucketlist and encourage others to do so as well.  I'll be posting here regularly and sharing Instagram pictures along the way too.

 Maybe you will find others who are dreaming of making the same quilts you are.  Maybe we will inspire a Quilty Bucket List Quilt A Long (QBLQAL?)  The sky is the limit!

So, without further adieu, here is my list: 


Double Wedding Ring

Ah, the quilt that started my whole quilty bucket list obsession. I'm elbow deep in the middle of this quilt now. Actually, I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I've blogged about my red and white double wedding ring lots - here, here and here if you want the details, but suffice it to say, a double wedding ring is probably the most recognizable quilt pattern out there. But it is ALL CURVES (oh, and Y seams at the end, I just discovered that little gem ~ guess who's never done Y seams?)! My goodness, this thing is an exercise in patience, in fact I said it must have been invented by a quilter with OCqD - that's Obsessive Compulsive Quilting Disorder . I hope the finished results will be worth the time and effort.  I think it will :) I wish I could show you a finished top, I am SO close, but for now, I'll share my latest IG photo... I have actually done quite a bit more since this photo, but I haven't been able to get good pictures lately.




A Hand Appliquéd Quilt

I have a lot of quilty friends who do a lot of hand appliqué. I am in awe of their work. The most recent example that comes to mind is my guild's 2014 Raffle Quilt for our QuiltFest, coming up later this year.  I am co-chairing the event, and I picked out this pattern. I wish you could see this in person.  All.Hand.Applique. No words.

This quilt is just beautiful and I would love someday to be able to make a quilt by hand.

www.captxquiltfest.org

Here is a closeup of that center medallion, which is about 45 inches square. Just stunning.



I took a Becky Goldsmith class and she's got tons of hand appliqué patterns that speak to me.  I know how to do it, but I've been too intimidated to start one before. 

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Classic. Beautiful. Timeless. These are the words that come to mind when I see a grandmother's flower garden. 2013 was the year of the hexie for me, and I loved making tons of them, but they were always for smaller projects.  I have started saving up every scrap of fabric I have left and have been cutting them down with the hope that I will use my spare time at baseball or swimming practices for the kids to start basting 1 inch hexies  Someday, they will become a grandmother's flower garden.

Here was the quilt that inspired me to want to make one someday - not only was this one hand pieced, it was hand quilted as well. It was stunning in person, pictures can't really do it justice. I couldn't take my eyes off of it! I think they were 1/2 inch hexies.  You will notice all of the award ribbons attached - it was truly amazing.

Grandmother's Flower Garden by Inge Hayes


Dear Jane or Farmer's Wife?

I know there was a craze a few years ago when the Farmer's Wife book came out but I didn't catch the fever until recently when I got my hands on the book.  In concept, the Farmer's Wife is very similar to the Dear Jane ~ a historical sampler.  However, I am drawn to the history behind the Dear Jane quilt a little more and think there could be some amazing colorings that could be done with the triangle borders.  I'm saving my pennies for the EQ7 version of Dear Jane and want to start that as a long term project.  I've already decided to do that one in solids, and probably in a rainbow of colors.  Or maybe, just maybe, I'll parlay my obsession with Carolyn Friedlander's Botanics into a Botanic Dear Jane?? Hmmm,  my creative juices are already flowing on this one, but it may be a year or so before I even get started on it! May need to start hoarding fabrics on this one.

Here's the picture I saw of the Dear Jane that got me slightly obsessed.  

Photo from Green Fairy Quilts

You may or may not know, but I am a sucker for a rainbow quilt


This next category are quilts are definitely bucket list, but not because they are particularly difficult - they spoke to me as a new quilter.

Swoon

I am still in awe of this quilt block. There are so many Swoon quilts out there, and each one sings because of fabric choices.   I love this quilt and just finished the top a month or so ago. Next, I need to decide how to quilt it. 

swoon top finished


Summer Sampler

I first saw this quilt right when I discovered the quilting blog world. Instantly, I wanted to do it, but didn't know if my skill level was up to task.  I ended up enlisting the help of my first virtual quilt bee to make it, and I just adore this quilt.  It's also still just a top, but longs to join the ranks of finished quilts.  I have a very special someone in mind to receive this quilt as a gift.

summer sampler top finished!

A String Quilt

I love scraps - I love strings. I desperately want to make an enormous quilt of scrappy strings. But I haven't yet.  I've pinned tutorials, I've hoarded strings, I've got them piled up and ready to go, but I just can't decide how I am going to do it yet.  It will happen soon....





I hope you have had fun reading my Quilty Bucket List - I would really love for you to make a list of your own, grab the button below and share it with us this month.  

Snap a photo of your a quilty bucket list quilt and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #quiltybucketlist. And check back later this month for lists from the fabulous bloggers I have lined up to share with you.


The Tilted Quilt


post signature



11 comments:

  1. YAY!! I love your list! And the nice thing about being newer to quilting and relatively young (in the world of quilting anyway) is we have that many more years to tackle and add to our lists!!
    I can't wait for my day on Monday, super excited. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each one of yours up to Summer Sampler is also on my list. Someday....... I LOVE your DWR quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! I'm glad to be included and have been mulling over my own list. Yours looks inspiring, and cool that you have a could of tops ready to finish into quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun list with lots of great quilts on here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea! I should probably start one. I'm a sucker for a list and have loads of them going on! A Dear Jane quilt would be on my list too... probably a rainbow one

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a blog hop; it's going to be so interesting to read everyone's lists! Perhaps I'll find a quilt to add to my own list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea! I'll have to think about my list. this may be coming too late for your raffle quitlfest but Karen is teaching one of her applique blocks from the Fiesta Mexico quilt in September - http://www.quiltmuseum.org/Buckley.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea Stacey and come just at the right time for me as I've finished my City Sampler. I love your double wedding ring top, it's beautiful. Your bucket choices are great especially the Dear Jane, I can imagine that taking quite a while!! A bit of slow sewing is good though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Summer Sampler quilt top turned out so great! Can't wait to see you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a middle arm. I can quilt 8 inched at a time. I would really love to learn how to reach out and quilt some awesome patterns that are becoming of a bunch if my quilt tops than have been waiting for me to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That applique quilt is gorgeous. I love all the bold colors.

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS