January 14, 2014

WIP Wednesday - Double Wedding Ring Progress


It's hard to believe I went from this...



to this..




and this ...




in just a few short months. I'm sorry for the dark pics, lately I've been sewing in the dead of night and never get good bright sunlight for my "in progress" pics.


This quilt has a bazillion (a technical term) pieces, but I made an investment in my own sanity and had the pieces laser cut by Kate Flynn Nichols. I highly recommend you consider this if you are doing a DWR - and here's why. 


Let me tell you something folks, my pieces would NOT have come out this perfectly if I had cut these bad boys myself.  And do you see those little notches in the white melon pieces above and in the white centers below? That's your mid-point... this makes pinning your curves a breeze!  It makes the entire piecing process enjoyable - and you get a very good result. Every time.



I cannot wait to see how this quilt comes out - I am just more in love with it every day. I am trying very hard to be as precise as I can since this will be my first quilt to enter into a show.  I'm very glad I gave myself a whole year to complete this quilt! I'm targeting the end of March to finish the top - and then make some decisions on quilting!! 

I'm linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for my first 2014 WIP post. Check out all the inspiration over on her site today!! 

27 comments:

  1. OMG GORGEOUSNESS GALORE!! I love red and white and especially love it in a DWR! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!! The red and white make it extra pretty. Was the laser cutting expensive? And how did you find such a service?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking amazing! I'm loving the idea of having someone else doing all my cutting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding! I've been gathering red and white prints here and there to make a quilt with one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy wow!! I love this so much I've had to retype this sentence 3 times! Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pretty! I've never heard of someone laser cutting fabric, but it seems worth it for all of those fabulous pieces. Keep it up! Best, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I adore two color quilts and this one will be fantastic.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never really been a big fan of DWR quilts but your's is turning out so amazing! I can't wait to see it all come together with the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely stunning! I love your classic red and white colour scheme, but made with modern fabrics. A treasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt!!! I am working on one too....about halfway there....great job on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! I don't think I'd be accurate enough to cut all those curves and slanted sides either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is gorgeous! Love that red and white in this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, gorgeous. I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really beautiful. I'm awed by your work in this. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a DWR show stopper!!!! You should extremely proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This will be a Beauty. I never heard of it, that you can send your fabrics to someone for lazer cutting - so cool. I would have used paper piecing. I have to look around here, if there is something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have done a great job and it is an absolutely gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is absolutely Stunning! I went and checked out that laser cutting you recommended sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not sure the position you're getting your details, however excellent topic. I must spend a while finding out much more or figuring out more. Thank you for spectacular details I was looking for this details for my mission.
    Lately, I was surfing around about the relevant issue but could not truly create it out. Cheers to this one.
    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eek, that looks amazing! I have a DWR on my quilting bucket list, but I've never quite been able to decide on the perfect fabrics for one. Love the single-colour approach.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd love to hear more about the ordering process for the laser cutting. I looked at the website and the form seemed rather general. I'd love more examples of what they can do and how best to go about it. I think it's a brilliant idea and your quilt is coming out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good call on laser cutting the pieces it looks like there were a lottttt of pieces! This will look great when it's finished, can't wait to see it all done and quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Managed Services Dallas


    LG Networks specializes in IT Consulting, providing business Computer Support and Network Services in Dallas, Garland, Plano, Richardson, Addison, Irving and for more information then visit: www.lgnetworksinc.com or call now: 972-528-6546

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS