January 29, 2014

How to Virtually Audition Fabrics for a Quilt Project

I was putting together a virtual fabric palette today for a quilt for a friend's son and I thought I would share how I normally present a commissioned fabric palette to a client.

I'm sure there are lots of ways to do this, but I have created my own little "Pinterest" board within Word.  I know some stores do this for you, but I like being able to add text, fabric requirements and other information.

Here's what I do. 

(1) Open a blank Word document. Title it and save it now, so you don't lose it later.
(2) Open your web browser to the fabric store of your choice, here I was using Fat Quarter Shop.
(3) Find the fabric you want to add to your palette
(4) Hover over the picture, right click and select "Copy Image"
(5) Toggle over into your Word document, right click "Paste"
(6) Repeat until you have all of your fabrics.

I think this gives you a great sense of how the fabrics will play together - I believe the swatches these days are pretty true to color and haven't been disappointed with this method.

 Usually, I keep a running title of fabric lines/designers on a separate page so if I add an obscure fabric to my list I know I can find it later.  I also keep a second page in the Word document for fabrics that didn't make the cut, just in case I decide to add them back later.

Fat Quarter Shop does have a great feature called the Wishlist that I can place all of our agreed to fabrics in and then let my friend purchase the fabrics for the quilts. 

How do you virtually audition fabrics for a quilt project?

5 comments:

  1. Great way to play! And for future reference. Thnx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart. I have no reason to do this right now, but nice to know, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah, how have I never thought of this?? That's a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Electric Quilt 7 to audition fabrics, as well as create blocks and design quilts. I am able to "see" what the quilt will look like without having to rummage through my fabric bins or raise a thread!

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS