January 7, 2014

#economyblockalong - Setting Options



If you are wondering what an Economy Block is, let me get you up to speed.  A fun Instagram Quilt-a-Long has popped up over the last few weeks.  Check out this fun Instagram feed (#economyblockalong)



Pattern: Economy Block by Rita @ Red Pepper Quilts.


 I have been known to jump into a project like this with no plan for finishing it, so I have already been pondering how I am going to turn these adorable blocks into something useful, in my case a baby quilt for a friend.



 I chose to do the 5" block, but of course, this would work for any size, if you just put pen to paper and figure out how it would impact the finished size of your project.  For illustration purposes, I colored the block simply, but my blocks are scrappy and this, of course, will change the look of the quilt.




Also, you can see from my blocks, I have chosen to set the blocks on point for a different visual finish.  I'm showing you several ways, both horizontal layout, and on point.  I hope this gets your creative juices flowing.  If you have any specific questions or want to brainstorm about your ideas, I'd love to hear them.  I've been wanting to play more with my EQ7 on projects like this, so here it goes :)

On Point Layout
Alternating with solid background, no border


On Point Layout 
With Border


On Point Layout 
Without Border


On Point Layout
with Sashing between Blocks and Border



Horizontal Layout
No Sashing

Horizontal Layout 
With Sashing

On Point Layout 
Alternating With Neutral Squares 
Detailed border with cornerstones


On Point Layout 
Alternating With Neutral Squares 
Detailed border 





9 comments:

  1. Man! You've really gone all out on those diagrams! I really like the idea of setting them on point with alternating neutral background squares. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing these setting possibilities in EQ7. I am going for alternately dark and light on the outside of the block, setting them straight, a bit like a checker board effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I hadn't thought of these options! I was thinking just sewing them all together in rows! I suppose it would look more scrappy that way unless you use scraps for all the in betweens too :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got EQ7. I am anxious to learn how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so helpful. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for showing these. It's always so hard for me to imagine what a finished quilt will look like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! thanks for the great ideas!! And those borders are outstanding :)

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS