December 24, 2013

Fabriholics Anonymous

I have been thinking for a while that I need to go on a fabric diet (in addition to that other diet we are all starting on January 1) - I have built up my stash quite a bit in the last couple of years, and it's time to sew into those fabrics! So, I've been looking for a group of like-minded quilters out there to share this adventure with.  I ran across this challenge over at Making Rebecca Lynne ~ she is partnering with Jess from The Elven Garden to not purchase any fabric for the first 6 months of the year!! Just writing it makes me nervous, but I am going to try it!

FabAnon

However, there are some exceptions, which I will note here:

  • I can purchase batting or quilt backing fabric (because I don't have large cuts of fabric on hand)
  • I can purchase time on the long arm for quilting
  • I can purchase thread or notions, as needed.
  • Commissioned Quilts - fabric for those quilts can be purchased with the expectation that they will pay for themselves.
  • I may need some white solid Kona to use as background - I can buy that, but only with a Joann's coupon ;)
  • If for some reason a fabric fairy sends me a gift certificate, I am GOING to buy a bundle of Carolyn Friedlander's Botanics line - I'm slightly obsessed with it!  
Also as part of the challenge, I need to lay out my UFO/WIP list for the next 6 months, to keep myself on track.  Here it goes!

Red and White Double Wedding Ring
status = piecing in progress - due September 12 for Quilt Show 
 



Swoon
status = blocks completed, need to add sashing, quilt

TShirt quilt
status = rows completed, need to put it together, quilt
update* top completed* 12/29

Summer Sampler Series 
status = top complete, needs quilting

status = starting in January.  Here's my fabric pull for that quilt (from my stash, of course)



Rainbow Russian Rubix
status = not started yet, but I've got the rainbow charms to piece the blocks.

Economy Block Along
I may have found the way to bust up my stash even more with the #economyblockalong on Instagram.  Check out the free pattern and tutorial by Red Pepper Quilts... This could be a great year long effort to dash the stash!


I'm sure I will add more projects as the year goes along, but this is definitely a good start and plenty to keep me busy for the next 6 months! 

Anyone out there thinking about going on a fabric diet?

13 comments:

  1. I need this! My stash is beginning to overwhelm me but I still keep buying all that pretty fabric. Do you have to blog to join?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm participating this year! I'm aiming for the full year though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doin my own version of this and set my goal for my May 1st birthday. I already have a stash Project kitted for each month next year.

    http://kwiltypleasures.blogspot.com/2013/12/whats-up-my-stash.html

    Good luck to all who are giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on a fabric purchase freeze for the last 2 years. Only exceptions were my brother's wedding quilt (didn't have enough of the colours they requested in the quilt); bindings and backings and fabric needed to finish off works in progress.

    I can see progress with stash reduction, but it's not as fast as I expected it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to join you on that journey. I need to get my UFO list together before I put my name in for sure. That will not happen until after Christmas. I am planning on buying a bolt of white background fabric with my Xmas money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God's Blessings and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Believe it or not, my goal this year is actually to BUILD my stash, but really more to round it out, than to grow it in size. I would, though, like to bust through my hoard of precuts... we'll see how far I get with that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. welcome to FA -- I'm doing the challenge also. Can't wait to see your projects in the upcoming year

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't realize Joann's sold Kona! Thanks for the tip. I have joined the fabric fast also. Hopefully we will all cheer each other on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the inspiration! I have joined this challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in on the challenge. I too want that bundle of botanics! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Stacey! Your giveaway post got me thinking and since I've already entered the giveaway, I thought I'd ask it here. It's a silly question, but I'm dying to know - how do you know how many followers you have? Ever since google reader went away and people started following in all sorts of different ways, I don't know how to tell. I'm sure it's obvious, but I don't think I'm doing it right. Could you enlighten me?
    P.s. go you for joining the fabric fast! I feel like fabric fasting is already a way of life for me, LOL, but I'm not making any promises for 2014! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to go on a fabric diet too. This last year, I finished quite a few tops but didn't quilt them yet. That is my biggest goal for 2014. And then I've bought fabric bundles for specific quilts but haven't gotten them started and/or completed. So, to make my husband happy and get some empty space, I'll join you in not purchasing any fabric for new projects in 2014 (unless I get a gift card).

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS