October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival ~ Holiday Sparkler!


I am really excited to submit my Holiday Sparkler Wall Hanging as my entry in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  This is such a great event - if you haven't heard of it before, click the link and check it out. Oh, and you might want to have about 3 free hours to sit there and admire all the amazing entries!


AmysCreativeSide

Quilt Stats:
Pattern: Winter Wonderland by Judy Niemeyer
Fabric - In From the Cold by Kate Spain
Thread: Aurifil 50 wt. for piecing - monofilament (can't remember which brand) for quilting
Size: 17" x 49"


Originally, I had this in mind as a table runner, but I love it so much, I just can't imagine hiding it on a table - it's going to be hung out for the entire holiday season at my house!

I recently took a class teaching the Judy Niemeyer technique for paper piecing.  If you've seen any of her patterns, you will know that these are not for the faint of heart.  But, I've been kind of obsessed with paper piecing this year, so I decided to give it a go!

I didn't want solids, so I went with the tone-on-tone red and white snowflakes from In From the Cold - it really gives the quilt added dimesion.





Each of one of these stars has 136 individual pieces, yes....1.3.6




So, after all of this work to get the paper piecing done, I was paralyzed about quilting it - I didn't want to detract at all from the piecing, so I hesitantly took out my monofilament. I have had very mixed results with monofilament before - lots of breakage and knotting.  But I love the finished look of it - especially when you want the piecing to be the "star." I said a little prayer, and got started. 



I decided to simply do straight-line quilting and outline the stars and borders. I think the monofilament worked better with straight line quilting than it has before trying to free motion.  I only had a few knots and breaks.  I really couldn't be any happier with how this turned out.  I know it will be a holiday favorite for years to come!

p.s. I have to note here the irony that I am trying to take photos of my "holiday" quilt and it's 80 degrees here in Austin. We rarely get snow - my house is decorated for Halloween, and I couldn't pull together a holiday shoot - so, I just went for it and took photos with the flowers that are still blooming!!  I tried to fade them here and make it look less like summer ;)




If you haven't entered a quilt yet in the Blogger's Quilt Festival, you absolutely should do so ~ entries are open for the next week or so. She is also giving away a Baby Lock Melody as well - I am a Baby Lock girl and would love to have a Melody to add to my collection, this would be the perfect machine for any quilter!

18 comments:

  1. oh those fabrics are perfect for this! One hundred and thirty six! Wow, awesome! The quilting works so well, and love the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just such a beautiful project! Such a lot of piecing - but well worth all that effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Love it. Simple and yet not really at all simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! That looks like it was hard. Great job, so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1-4-2 I LOVE IT! You are a trooper to put 136 pieces in each block. I call that dedication. I think I would have thrown in the towel before I started. Is that OCD to count the pieces? I've been told it's OCD to count - lol. Our piece is absolutely a masterpiece. If you need a picture in a little bit cooler climate, you can ship it to Tulsa. It's currently 50.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So simple but so beautiful; you have a lot of patience to piece 136 pieces into a block; then to other 2! I agree with you: it looks more beautiful on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on all that paper piecing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! And so versatile. I think red and white quilts are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly gorgeous quilt. Gorgeous holiday quilt hanging. I love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That red and white is eye popping gorgeous. Love the pattern. I haven't been brave enough yet to go for the paper piecing papers. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Holiday Sparkler is beautiful. I'm so inspired and want to make one now, but next Christmas is a little more realistic.

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS