August 9, 2013

National Book Lover's Day with Moda


Books, glorious books! I am a bit of a book freak. I love to buy books - particularly quilting books lately. So, I was really excited to hear that today Moda's blog, The Cutting Table is celebrating National Book Lover's Day as well. They've asked their designers to share our favorites with you, the ones that inspired us to start quilting as well as our what we are reading right now. 

I can't remember the first quilting related book that I bought, but I know that the best reference guide I've ever found is the Fons and Porter Quilter's Complete Guide. 



When I first started quilting, I snagged a copy at Half-Price Books  and referred to it often as a beginning quilter.  Another amazing reference, if you can find one is the Barbara Brackman Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns. It's out of print now and I don't own a copy, but my local library has one and I've checked it out several times.  They are pricey on Amazon since they are really hard to find, but it's got something like 4,000 individual quilt blocks and, if you are a budding designer, I think it's an wonderful jumping off point for quilt design.  Also if you are an EQ user, which I am, you can buy this entire library as a supplement to your software.  I've got this on my holiday wish list!

I usually wait for a JoAnn's 50% off coupon for my book buying to make it a little more affordable, but when I can't find them there, I end up buying online. My most recent  quilt book purchase from Joann's was Piece O' Cake's Quilt a New Christmas.  

This book is primarily applique - I really want to learn to do more applique and I took Becky Goldsmith's class, which was wonderful.  Her projects are just fantastic! My favorite quilt in the book, and one that I consider a "bucket list" quilt is this one.  It's not even a traditional Christmas design, but what a gem! I need to really master my applique before I attempt this many circles.


Quilt a New Christmas with Piece O' Cake Designs

My most recent online (Amazon) purchase was Liberty Love.



From this book, I drool over the Marcelle Medallion quilt.  I couldn't find a good pic of the quilt from the book, so here's one of my favorite renditions by, Hyacinth Quilt Designs.
Marcelle Medallion from Liberty Love





And then, an all-time favorite book which is a staple, in my humble opinion, if you are going to get into hexagons is Hexa Go-Go. It's got great in-depth directions on making hexagons with several different methods and then a TON of fantastic projects. 



I've already made the Cat Tails Quilt and blogged about it, but isn't this rainbow quilt just a.maz.ing!!
Hexa-Go-Go


I would love to know what your favorite quilting book is - happy National Book Lover's Day!


Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your quilt book favourites, Stacey! I had Fons and Porter Quilter's Complete Guide on my list, too! Read on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased "Liberty Love" a few months ago. I have not made any of the patterns yet but I have drooled over all that delicious Liberty fabric. I have even purchased a few small pieces for myself. That tana lawn is so soft and buttery. That hexagon rainbow quilt is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun books...you have me doing the hexy dance! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite quilting resource book is Jinny Beyer's The Quilters Album of Patchwork Patterns. Thanks for sharing your favorite quilt books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore hexies! Thanks for sharing your favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will say my favorite is my brand new one I bought today. More 90- Minute Quilts by Meryl Ann Butler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that Marcelle Medallion. Must do that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It gets harder and harder to narrow the list down to a single favorite. There are so many good ones out there. I do love Marsha McCloskey's Feathered Star quilt books, though, and hope to make one of the quilts from one of them someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the books that inspired you and your lovely quilts. Right now I am enjoying Pam and Nicky Lintott's quilt books. I never used pre-cuts until I found these books.

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS