August 19, 2013

Bucket List Quilt - Double Wedding Ring

If you are anything like me, you have a bucket list of quilts you'd like to try.  Today, I am sort of tackling two birds with one stone.  I  have always wanted to do a red and white quilt, ever since I saw this video of this quilt exhibit in New York.  There is an iPad app you can get for free that shows each of the 650 red and white quilts in this exhibit - just stunning!!  And to think that this was one woman's collection - amazing!



I have also wanted to challenge myself to do a double wedding ring, but in a more modern palette. It just seems like the quintessential quilter's quilt, right? 

So, here we go - my red and white double wedding ring was born.

The ultimate goal for this quilt is to enter it into my guild's quilt show in September of 2014 - so I have a whole year to get this one done. I have never entered a quilt in a show before, so I figured, why not go BIG.

I have been saving {hoarding} red and white fat quarters for a while, and I finally have enough.  I mailed them off today to be cut for my quilt. I'm doing 15" rings in a 6 x 8 layout.  I can't wait  ~ the final quilt will be 68" x 90".




I have decided to hire someone to laser cut my pieces for me.  It's a company called Flynn Quilt Frame Company, and I will keep you posted on my experience with this process, as it's my first time using them. But they come highly recommended.  Yes, it is a short cut, but I do want to enjoy this process!!

To keep me motivated, there is a challenge online right now hosted by the New York City Modern Quilt Guild.

I have no idea if its possible to finish this in time for the challenge deadline, but it's good to keep it in mind. 


I will try to document as much of the quilt as I can via Instagram, so if you'd like, pop on over and add me to your feed.  I'll use the hashtag #doubleweddingring

What's on your quilty bucket list? Are you working on it now? I'd love to hear about it!

8 comments:

  1. How interesting to send fabric out for cutting, I have never heard that before- yes, keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see how the quilt comes along!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Won't that be stunning. Red and white is classic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to do one of these too! Good luck with the entire process. I'm sure it will be stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet your quilt will be awesome in red and white. I have on my bucket list to do a Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt like the antique ones so I have been collecting 1930 reproduction fabrics to make mine. I have enough fabrics now so I want to get started on it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've bought laser cut quilt pieces from John Flynn before. They are a little singed looking on the edges, but it doesn't matter at all since this part ends up in the seam allowance. It's a wonderful time-saver and perfectly accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised you didn't go the paper piece direction.

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS