May 23, 2013

Hexagon Log Cabin

At long last I have finished my hexagon log cabin made for my son's kindergarten teacher.  Well, it feels like forever, but really, it's only been about 4 weeks.  I think operating under a hard deadline like the last day of school just stresses me out a little.  It just so happens that the Blogger's Quilt Festival is also going on so I decided to enter this in the ROYGBIV category. Voting is open NOW - I am quilt #34 in this category. There are some gorgeous quilts to see so enjoy the eye candy!

AmysCreativeSide.com

I'm also entering this quilt in the Festival of Strings from Stitched in Color.


Festival of Strings
Pattern: Tutorial from The Sewing Chick
Fabrics: Mainly from my stash, in rainbow colors
Hexagon Centers: self portraits drawn by the kindergarten class, scanned and uploaded to Spoonflower.
Size: 45" x 55"



Here's my son Will's self portrait, isn't it cute?


I cannot wait to give this to our special teacher - I hope she treasures it for years to come!






If this is your first time visiting the blog, welcome! I hope you will come back soon for another visit :)

Follow on Bloglovin

25 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use the kids' own art! I love log cabins, and their hex cousins, but this one is extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. my. gosh!! this quilt is so awesome! I'm an elementary teacher, and would absolutely love to receive a gift like this! I also love that you did it in hexies, rather than squares. It just makes it even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the log cabin look with the hexies! Very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time. Love the special quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful quilt! Great job!

    Esther
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect way to accent the drawings. Lucky teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out SO cute! Love the rainbow hexies to highlight the kids' art. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so wonderful and how fun! I'm sure the teacher will be very touched. Toni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! The teacher will adore it I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a great idea and a beautifully done quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great quilt. Fun way to feature the art. That's one lucky teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't get over how beautiful this is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful quilt. I love the kids' self-portraits! You picked great colors, too. What a lovely, meaningful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! I mean seriously--wow! What a great gift and such a special quilt. Great job using the strings and the little selfies are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a wonderful quilt - what a special present :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute quilt! She must be one special teacher to receive such a precious gift!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am here after hearing about the Stitched in Colour Festival and love your hexi-cabin pattern...............such great fun

    ReplyDelete
  18. This quilt is beautiful and I am sure that the teacher will love it forever. The colorful hexagons frame each self portrait so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, what a sweet idea! I love how rainbow-happy this is. Perfect for a teacher's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That quilt is one of my favourites from all the great entries of the string quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really love your gift to the teacher. I know she will treasure it always. I would have voted for yours, if I'd been here in May. =)

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS