April 30, 2013

WIP Wednesday - A Gift for A Wonderful Teacher


I can't believe it's already time to think about end-of-year gifts.  I was inspired to volunteer to make a quilt for my older son's teacher after seeing a wonderful quilt by Lee @ Freshly Pieced.  She had all of the kids in the class draw pictures of themselves and then uploaded them to Spoonflower.  It was such a cute idea I wanted to try something similar for our teacher.  So, here's the Spoonflower fabric.  Cute, right?
Mrs. Lloyd

Now, I just needed a pattern.  I've been eyeing this hexagon log cabin tutorial for a while on Sewing Chick's blog.  It seemed like the perfect way to highlight the kids' self portraits. Here's her finished product - so adorable!!

Hexagon Quilt Top

I've decided to use bright, rainbow colors.  I think I need 32 hexagons for a lap size quilt, and I've got seven done so far - I need to get busy! I'm trying to make it entirely scrappy, but my scrap bins aren't as plentiful as some of you, so I'm also raiding the scrap bins of some of my friends who are willing to share - now that's what I call a good friend!

The last day of school is June 6th, so I've got time, but I don't want this one to go down to the wire.  Here's are a few pics in progress - more to come soon!




Pin It

Linking up today to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced - have a great week!
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


19 comments:

  1. This is going to be so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing hexagons! I think you have inspired me to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see if finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea! Love the framed drawings and scrappy rainbowness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!! Love all the bright colours... this is going to be fabulous when it's done!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! How very clever and thoughtful...a beautifully unique gift that will be treasured!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love these blocks! so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be an amazing and thoughtful gift. Lovely idea

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea, and wonderrful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacey, your quilt is amazing! I am so pleased you are using my tutorial for such a special and meaningful quilt! Can't wait to see it finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the most awesome thing I've ever seen. I can't even wrap my head around how special that is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an amazing idea, what a special gift!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is coming together so cute! One of these years I will get up enough energy to do one like this. Good job I rally love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in love with this project! You have chosen the best pattern and the cutest fabric. I love the drawings the kids did!
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you are going fοг fineѕt contеnts liκe me, just viѕіt this wеb
    sitе daily for the rеаson that іt proviԁеs qualіty
    cοntents, thаnks

    Stop by my ѕite :: hcg solution
    Also see my website - injectable hcg

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those blocks are so cute. The teacher is going to be over the moon.

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS