March 12, 2013

WIP - the Project List

OK, time to get out my pencil and update the project list! I've got a quilting retreat coming up in two weeks and I've got to admit to myself that I cannot possibly pack up my entire sewing room and take it with me.  I've got 3 whole days of sewing so I can get a lot done, but I should really prioritize for maximum productiveness.  Now, I also know that several of the ladies, like me, will be drinking a little wine at said retreat, so I may not be QUITE as productive as I hope I will be, but nevertheless... here it goes:

Fabric Selected

Swoon - I recently purchased two FQ  bundles that I'm thinking about using for a Swoon quilt - I've admired this quilt from afar and now I'm going to tackle it.  I may have to sideline this until after the retreat because as you will see below I've got more pressing matters!!

Being Pieced


Baby Clothes Quilt for Amy - my friend asked me to make a quilt from her daughter's baby clothes.  This is a new one for me and I have to admit was a little unnerving.  As you know, not all baby clothes are made out of quilting-grade cotton! I knew I would have to stabilize a lot of the items first so that they would finish consistently.  I decided to paper piece for additional accuracy and the Cartwheels pattern by Lee at Freshly Pieced immediately came to mind.  I liked that the pieces were big enough to really see the pattern and I'm trying to get special little pieces of the clothes, like the embroidered butterfly.  Much of the work of this quilt will be on the front end - deconstructing the clothes, stabilizing and then cutting into pieces for the blocks.  I knocked out the first two blocks yesterday to see how I felt about it - I like the randomness of the clothes.  I think it will be really adorable when it's all done.  Amy chose Apple Jacks in Gray for the background and she chose a flannel for the backing from Marmalade.


Making a baby clothes memory quilt for my friend using the Cartwheel block pattern by Lee at Freshly Pieced.  Loving it so far...Making a baby clothes memory quilt for my friend using the Cartwheel block pattern by Lee at Freshly Pieced.  Loving it so far... 



Baby Quilt for Stephanie -  I couldn't resist this adorable Dr. Seuss fabric for my friend Stephanie who is due with her second child in a few months.  I'm going to mix the cheater blocks from the quilt panel with the Pinwheel Sampler by Rachel Griffith of P.S. I Quilt.  I whipped up the first block tonight and I'm thinking this is going to be really cute when done.


Oh the places you will go!



Russian Rubix Christmas for Josh - yet another Christmas quilt for my family.  Each child is demanding his own Christmas quilt, plus I made one for the whole family and just finished it in January! I had the fabrics already for this one, so I"m going to make this Russian Rubix in Christmas sock monkey - so fun!  But honestly, I'm kind of not feeling like a Christmas quilt yet, so this one might get tabled for a few months :(



Russian Rubix - Monkey Style!

Blocks Done
Finish Valentines Hexies - all of my hexie Valentines from Get Your Hex On! have been returned to me and now, I've got to combine all the blocks. Am considering sashing and backing options at this time.

Small Projects
April Showers Mug Rug - no progress
Color Bee Shocked March Block - no progress


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced Photobucket


Linking up with Freshly Pieced and Quiltsy today - it's been a while!!  Go over and check out what everyone is working on for a weekly dose of inspiration.

I'm also going to join Bloglovin' today so if you would like to follow me there, click here: 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin




Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Oh how exciting! I find I get more done with wine because I let go of perfection. Under the influence, I seem to be accept that quilts should have minor flaws, that's what make handmade, special and unique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cartwheel pattern! You have a lot going on at once!! Can't wait to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Cartwheels baby clothes blocks! Wow, that would be unnerving, for so many reasons! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy seeing what you are up to. And happy to see you linking up with Quiltsy! We appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am working on a Russian rubix baby quilt. I kinda stopped for a while and put it on the back burner. I am trying to get motiviated again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 days of sewing (and wine), you lucky girl!
    Everything looks great. That is such a clever way of making a baby clothes quilt. I so often see generic squares. Great way to think out of the box - or square ;)

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS