March 16, 2013

meet: My Machine! Linky Party

The Tilted Quilt


Welcome to Day 1 of the meet: My Machine! blog hop.  Erin from Sew at Home Mummy and I have teamed up to bring you a whole week of fabulous quilters who are going to share all of the details about their sewing machines.  Here's the lineup:



But there's more! We want to hear from you. So, we are also hosting a week-long link party right here.  Any time this week, head back to this post and add a link from a recent blog post talking about your machine.  Here are some ideas of topics you can cover in your post:


  • Please tell us about your current machine - make, model, etc. (and if there's any story behind you obtaining it, etc.)
  • What's your favorite machine accessory/doo-dad? 


  • Does your machine have a name? What is it? Have you tatted your machine up with fancy stickers, decals, etc? let's see 'um!


  • Tell us a little about your first sewing machine - is that the one you still use today?
  • How many machines do you own (don't be shy, fess up) & tell us a bit about them - domestic, serger, embroidery, long arm, vintage, antique? Do you use your vintage/antique machines, or are they eye-candy only?


  • What are your favorite features of your current machine
  • What feature could you not live without?
  • What features do you wish you had on that machine, but don't? How could your machine be improved upon? Would you recommend this machine to a friend (be diplomatic here, lol)
  • If you could have any machine (let's say you win one for FREE tomorrow...) what would it be??
  • Show us your sewing space - what are your favorite parts of that space and what do you want to change? Where did you find your (table/chair/shelving, etc. if they've got a great story, [I found it in a dumpster behind the Walmart! Ya! New coat of paint and look at it!] [it's an Ikea Hack!!! It was a (weird Swedish name here) table and now look at it!], etc, we'd love to hear about it) 
  • What's your favorite method for storing (scraps, FQBs, Jelly Rolls, etc.)
  • And, anything else machine/space/person related you'd like to share!
We are looking forward to hearing from you - As with all blog hops and linky parties, the real fun is in commenting on others posts, so check out what everyone is talking about today and check back during the week as well.


Now, get hopping!


15 comments:

  1. When I was headed off for college in 1970, my Mom got me a Singer Fashion Mate 237,portable machine.Straight stitch and zigzag. It cost $70. I sewed many clothes, winter coats, and my wedding dress on that machine. When I decided to learn to quilt last fall, it wouldn't stitch a bit, even though it had mended some jeans a couple of weeks prior. So I went on a new machine hunt and ended up with a Brother cs6000i. I think my favorite feature is the push button for back stitch. I really like it, have not done any quilting on it yet, just piecing. Just finished my 3rd block with Sugar Block of the Month with Amy Gibson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just linked up so you can meet my BFFs.. Thanks for sponsoring this hop,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just linked up - I wonder why it's displaying the link instead of text...weird...something in the settings maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently I sew on two vintage Singers, a 201-2 and a 15-91. I also have a Brother NX600 and a vintage White Jeans Machine which I use if I need more than a straight stitch. I have loved sewing for many years and would probably have more machines if I had space for them! Each machine seems to have a specialty as well as a personality so I find I can use them all. (just not at once!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I linked up today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im not sure I linked my post correctly but you can go to my blog and see the post about my new toy.http://patchysails.blogspot.com/ We have been a Singer family for many years almost 50 to be exact. My granny, her sister and my aunt all used Singer untill the 90s . They all said something changed and they turned to pumpkins..I also used a Singer from the 80s which was all metal and sewed like the Ever ready bunny. When I changed to the newer ones they died within the yr, I even tried a computerized Brother that got jammed with paper and that was it. So, I finally did research and found the that Janome computerized machines are awesome! You can see the latest versions on Anna Maria Horners page http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/
    I went to my local machine shop and got a great deal, a 1000 dollar machine for 600. It has been wonderful, and Ive heard great stories about it. I like how Janome sews and it is so quiet and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am new to blogging and recently started one:) I had a post with some information about my blog so I linked it here. I am so excited to be a part of the blogging community! Thanks for the opportunity to share:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry everyone, I meant to say in my previous comment that I had a post related to my machine on my blog.....morning brain LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like most, i remember my mother attempting to make me an outfit for some event thingie... i think my aunt gave her the idea.. well.. let's just say that was the last time i ever saw her at a sewing machine. As for me i picked up the hobby shortly after that with the Home Eco class and making clothes. Quilting came along when i was given tons of charm packs and fabric and was told to make a quilt.. gotta love my family and how we make things... From there it was always touch and go until about a few years ago at my "adoptive mom's" where she was teaching me more about quilting and really where i have kicked off the quilting and craft hobby. I have been working on a Brother SQ9000 until it decided to "swallow" the needle. I got brave and took it apart. I retrieved the needle, but lost the machine in the process... it has a clicking noise. Not sure what exactly happen with it. My lovely Husband at Christmas decided that I needed a sewing machine and goes out Xmas eve night and buys one. I do give him credit for stilling with Brother machine. However i have used this simple brother machine for more quilting than i think the machine was ever designed for. I love it dearly and means alot, but am looking at increasing my quilting experience. If i get any bigger than a twin it gets interesting around here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Stacey,

    Thanks for hosting this party. I've been meaning to do one for ages, and this is my first. It's great fun looking at everybody else's machines.

    Love from England,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hosting. I'll come back tomorrow and check out the others' posts about their machines.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just linked up....I am currently sewing on a White portable I have had 36 years. My mother has a Pfaff that she has had for 54 years, and I am seriously thinking about having it serviced and using it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of
    any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    My web-site ... acoustic guitar chord

    ReplyDelete
  15. My family all the time say that I am wasting
    my time here at net, except I know I am getting familiarity everyday
    by reading such nice articles.

    Here is my web blog ... Conference Calling

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS