February 20, 2013

WIP - in the beginning...

I'm participating in a blog hop next month and my finished product will be a baby quilt I designed myself.  More info on the hop to come, but since this is my first original design I will be formally putting out into the universe, it's gotten me thinking about a whole host of issues.  My questions are - in no particular order:


  • Is any quilt block design ever truly original? I mean, we're talking about a craft that has been around for generations!  Everything we do is based on something done before us, right? Although this idea is purely my own, do I have to do some sort of due diligence to make sure it's not really similar to something else out there?
  • Do I need to copyright my original designs?  I'm not planning on selling this, but I'd like to make a "free" pattern download for the quilt.  This is something I'll need to do more research on.
  • What type of design/publishing software is out there - what do others use (see the survey below)?
  • What other issues haven't I thought about? Am I stressing too much and should I just jump in (of course I am stressing too much, have you met me?)
So, I've sketched my pattern out on paper and now am in the process of creating step-by-step instructions.  Although I like taking pictures, I'd like to create simple drawn images to illustrate the steps.   This is really a learning experience for me to see if this is something I'd like to do more of.

I can't show you yet what my design is (obviously!) but I'd love to show you the fabrics I chose.  I have just been obsessed with Honey Honey since it came out and this project seemed like a great use of that line.  Here's the eye candy...


Honey Honey!
Honey Honey Fabrics Purchased from Sew Lux Fabrics

And here's where you can help me! Will you take a quick one-question survey below?  It will help me get some direction on which way to go next!




My other big sewing news this week is that I'm going to QUILT CON on Saturday - and I am SO excited.  I'm going to meet up with a group hosted by Alyssa at Pile O' Fabric on Friday for dinner and we are swapping pincushions.  I just finished up my first cathedral window pincushion for that swap.  I used some leftover charm squares in Vintage Modern from last year and I found a cute button to tie it all together.  So fun!


Cathedral Window Pincushion

And last, but not least, I have put my granny squares back on my design wall! I need to make a few more of those and put them all together to be donated to my quilt guild's Baby Bundles program next month.  They've been sitting in a pile for about 6 months now and I've got some more red/aqua scraps I can cut up and get this little guy finished!! I figured if I put them up there, I can't forget about them when they are staring at me every day :) 



I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday today - if you are visiting from there - thanks for stopping by and giving me your feedback!  Go see what others are doing this week for your daily dose of inspiration.


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

4 comments:

  1. Stacey -- I was just talking to one of my quilting instructors about this very thing a few weeks back. The pattern its self is not copywritable but the directions are what the copywrite protects if the pattern is original or if you made signifigant changes to another pattern. She was saying that this is the reason that fashion designs are not able to be copwrighted and you get knockoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey, I love your Grannie blocks and I can't wait to see your design and how you use Honey Honey! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any answers to help you...but I think that most things have been around...there are definitely variations on quilting though. I hope someone else gives you the info you need.

    I love your design wall...love the grannies. =) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pincushion. Quite a few of the modern quilt guilds participated in a pincushion swap. We are meeting on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS