October 2, 2012

W.I.P. Wednesday



Lots of fun progress this week - I am officially a hexie addict.   I've decided to use the 112 charms from my Christmas in July charm swap hosted by Manda over at Manda Made Quilts to make 1 1/2 inch hexies.  Charm squares really are perfect for that size - there's not much waste.  I bought Hexa Go-Go by Tacha Bruecher last week and I haven't been able to stop making these little cuties.  Here's some progress

I've basted about 30 hexies.  I bought my papers online from Paper Pieces and I followed Tacha's directions and the rest is piecing history!












And here's the first rosette (7 hexagons all sewn together).  Don't you just love the little gnome and the gingerbread man?  The quilt will definitely have an I-Spy feel to it when it's done.
















I keep looking at this little guy - he just makes me smile.













The cool thing about the charm swap is that no two hexies will be alike on the quilt.  I've found the pattern I want to try - now, the only question is whether I can get it done by Christmas.  It takes 112 (yikes) of the hexies. I didn't think I would like anything hand sewing-related, but this is great fun so far.

I have enjoyed my charm swap so much, I decided to try another swap - so I've signed up for this color wheel swap - sounds like a great way to build up the stash!  I think there are spots still available, so check it out if you get a chance.
City Stitches
I do have one finish for the week, my Christmas Star quilt - I posted about it over the weekend, but I'd like to thank the 100 Day Hustle for motivating me to get moving on some of my UFO's!  And finally, I'm linking up to Freshly Pieced as well for their always motivational weekly WIP Wednesday.
WIP Wednesday at Freshly PiecedKelsey Sews





12 comments:

  1. I was surprised that I liked doing hexies too. I've never been a hand sewing fan. There is a small link up for hexies on Wednesdays too call One Flower Wednesday at journeyofaquilter.blogspot.com if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting EPP myself, it is addictive. I love your Hexies, I wish I had seen the swap. If you want another one, no stress swap we have some space on our for string blocks. You dont even have to sign up, you just mail by the date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hexies are adorable! That snowman is just too much. What a fun project you have going - those hexagons can be really addicting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Christmas quilt will be so much fun! I am also working on some Hexies this week also and you are right it is addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As SimpleSew said, hexies are addictive - you will have 112 before you know it! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for hexies! I agree with everyone who says that they are addictive. I can't stop sewing hexie flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm, with all of this hexie-love, maybe a hexie swap is in order at some point in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those really are super cute hexies! Thanks for linking up to wip Wednesday this week where I've enjoyed guest-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I do love the gnome and gingerbread man. I don't know how anyone could look at the happy little snowman and not grin. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Love Love Love your fabrics! (And I totally agree with a Hexie Swap!)

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS