October 14, 2012

The Twister Tool - A Review

I've blogged about this new tool I purchased at the QuiltFest and, as with many tools, you wonder whether it was worth the investment and whether you will use it after the particular project.  I have to say that my conclusion is that it's definitely worth having this little template and I was able to whip out a great lap quilt in just two sittings, pretty impressive.  It also gives the illusion of lots of patchwork when you really hardly did anything.

 As I mentioned in a previous post, the first part of the instruction is to take your layer cake and sew it together in a 6x6 formation. You could do a more random arrangement, but I chose to take each different color family in the layer cake and  make a diagonal line in the same color.
 The next thing you do is add a border.  Note, you have two borders - the "pre Twister" border and the "post Twister" border - and I always like to pin each fabric with its intended use to prevent any accidental cutting!
 After I added the border, you place the Twister on the top and align the cross with the seams and start to slice!

A couple of notes, you are now on the bias, so things become very stretchy!  After I cut the first row and joined each of the squares, here is what you have:

 and then the next row is added:


I am not one to use pins unless I have to, but because this was so stretchy and I really wanted my pinwheels to match up, I pinned both before and after the seam to ensure perfect matches - and it worked!


Ta-da!


This top measures about 52x52 and I actually think I like it better like this without the additional border - I think it looks a lot more difficult that it was, and this took me only a few hours of sewing time to produce a pretty impressive looking top.

The pros:  durable template, good instructions, fast quilt top to piece
The cons:  there is some waste when you are cutting the twister blocks - but they end up being about 4 1/2 inch squares so I think they will be good scraps for another project.

You can find the information about the Twister HERE.

All in all, I give the Twister tool a thumbs up and would recommend buying one if you're looking for something to do with your layer cakes - also great for a beginning quilter - because there is so much trimming your blocks are exactly the right size every time - and your quilt ends up nice and square!

Again, here's the before and after:


Linking up to Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday today as well - for our weekly dose of inspiration!!!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

11 comments:

  1. Looks great!!! I'll definitely have to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nifty tool! You never have to sew or cut diagonals/triangles then? And it looks perfectly patchworky too. Thanks for sharing!
    cheers
    -k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope - not a single triangle or any diagonal! Isn't that neat??

      Delete
  3. I love it! It definitely makes for a complicated looking quilt but it looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, Stacey! I have the smaller version of the twister. I just bought a charm pack of Christmas Fabric and am seeing a twisted Christmas quilt in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I think my little brain would get confused about how to put it all back together, but your quilt looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone demoed this tool at our last guild mtg- very cool! I need to save up! Your quilt top looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I have a smaller version of the twister and just made another pillow with a 5" charm pack as a present. This pattern always looks impressive and is so easy!

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS