October 9, 2012

Let's Do the Twist

Hexies are fun, but I was starting to miss my sewing machine after about a week of hand sewing every night.  Here's a quick update on the hexies:

need: 112 individual hexagons
done:  about 50


need: 16 rosettes
done: 5 :(

I now know why I hear people say that they work on their grandmother's flower gardens for years.






















Let me digress for one minute - one of my favorite quilts at our recent show was this grandmother's flower garden quilt which was not only hand pieced but also hand quilted.  Can you see how amazing this is? It was so cool in person - those are teeny tiny hexagons!  Yes, traditional - but so beautiful and timeless.  It won three well deserved ribbons in the show and provided me the inspiration for my current project.

Grandmother's Flower Garden by Inge Hayes


So, it was time for me to break into a new project.  I was looking for something fast, and I think the Twister might just be it.

I wrote a previous post about the Twister tool I bought at the 2012 Capital of Texas QuiltFest. I'm excited to break it in and review it for you all.   It's a simple acrylic template with an offset cross in the middle for cutting blocks.

Fingers crossed, there will be a quilt top to show next week!

So, it all starts with a layer cake.  I chose Sassy by Sandy Gervais for Moda. I've loved this color palette for a while and I think this quilt will be awesome in Sassy.



You can really see the vibrant colors here - I am so drawn to orange, black, teal and green.  Can't wait to see this come together


The first part of the instruction is to sew 36 of the layer cake blocks together in a 6x6 formation.  I did that in no time flat tonight while my Roku kept me company :)

Next up -  add a border and the start slicing away with the Twister tool.














More to come on this project next week.
What are you working on this week?  I'm linking up to Freshly Pieced's W.I.P Wednesday and Quiltsy for a weekly dose of inspiration - go check out what our blogging community is up to this week!


PhotobucketWIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I haven't heard of the Twister tool before - a new gadget I'll probably "have" to have soon LOL. I look forward to seeing what you do with it, and will stop back. Great palette of colors from Sandy's line too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hexies! Amazing Grandmother quilt from the show too! You are going to love using the Twister! I do find that it wastes fabric, but the end results are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of the twister - can't wait to see your quilt/review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that is an amazing quilt! I'll bet yours will be just as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am interested in the little twister tool, so can't wait to see next week's installment on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great inspiration piece. I worked my way through approximately 1500 hexies this summer for multiple projects and am just now needing a significant break from them.

    I can't wait to see what you do with the twister tool. I bought my very first layer cake this past month, but have no idea what I want to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caryn - I will definitely post about it once I finish up the top - this is my first layer cake too and I'll be excited to share the results!

      Delete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS