May 4, 2012

Mandarin Orange Cake

Sometime recipes evoke memories of your childhood.  A few years ago, a coworker made this for an office event and the minute I took a bite of it, I was 10 years old again at one of our family gatherings where all of my aunts brought various amazing desserts, most covered with some form of Cool-Whip.

This is the perfect dessert to take to  a friend's house for any summer get-together.  It is light, moist, cool and dreamy!  Not only that, it is super easy to make and only has a few ingredients.

Don't let the fact that it's an "orange" cake scare you away. Canned mandarin oranges are very mild and sweet.  This cake is best if it sits overnight in the fridge, so make it ahead and forget about it until you have to start giving out the recipe.

I've seen several versions of this online, but none exactly like this one, so here we go.

The Cake:

 1 box Duncan Hines Butter Cake Mix
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 11-oz can mandarin oranges with juice

The Frosting:
12 oz. cool whip (you can always upsize that to the next largest size)
1 small box vanilla instant pudding
8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 11-oz can mandarin oranges, drained


For the cake, mix all of the ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.



For the frosting, mix all frosting ingredients together with a whisk and spread over the cake.  Place in refrigerator overnight, if you can.  I like to leave some chunks of orange in the frosting, but break up most of them by vigorously whisking.

I promise, you won't be disappointed with this cake!


Enjoy :)



p.s. Yes, I know this is a quilting blog, but I felt like posting a recipe today!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my, this looks and sounds quite yummy!! I'm going to list the ingredients right now and put them on the grocery list!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS