April 23, 2012

The "New" Quilting Craze

See - it's not just me! Of course, we know that there is nothing "new" about quilting.  It's a craft that has been around as long as fabric has existed.

Quilting is big business.  In 2010, Quilting In America released statistical data showing that there are 21 million quilters in the United States and the quilting industry is a $3.63 billion enterprise.  Last year when I attended the International Quilt Festival in Houston, I found out that the Quilt Show was the LARGEST single convention held at the Houston Convention Center - and had over 60,000 attendees. Very impressive!

When I started quilting a little over 2 years ago, I immediately started surfing the web to find out what I could and get tips, tutorials and tricks online to improve my abilities.  I found such a wealth of information, it has made the whole process so much more fulfilling to find others out there also excited and into quilting.

In January, I saw this article in Southern Living declaring that there is a "New Quilting Craze" - it highlights online guilds and bees.

Certainly, the average age of quilters I've come into contact with here in Austin is somewhat older than me, but I have found these women to all be generous with their skill and their time - everyone is glad I'm there and glad to have younger women getting excited about this craft.

So, I'm going to do my part to encourage people to try quilting - you are making an heirloom gift for someone you love - something they will keep and treasure as long as they own it.  The true enjoyment and pride for me comes in giving something to someone I have made with my own hands.  I look forward to many more years of honing my skills and converting people into new quilters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS